Preaching gives the most ear hours than any other form of communication in the church. By that I mean for all the discipleship, classes, counseling and casual conversations a pastor has through the week; more people are listening for longer periods to his prepared sermons than anything else. This is why I propose it is imperative for church planters to continue to learn and grow in presenting God’s word even after the formal training has ended and the work has begun.
…it is imperative for church planters to continue to learn and grow in presenting God’s word even after the formal training has ended and the work has begun.
While listening to good preaching is a great tool, I also strongly suggest continuing to purposely learn about preaching. Below is a far from exhaustive list of resources that I have found helpful in continuing to learn and grow as a preacher. My hope is to fill the comment section with resources you have found helpful to continuing learning and growing in preaching after initial training. Post your thoughts and resources there.
- Sermon Smith, John Chandler interviews pastors concerning sermon prep.
- On Preaching, H.B.Charles Jr. offers valuable insights.
- The Sermonators, Evangelist Scott Smith and Pastor Joel Sutherland have great love for preaching and preachers.
Three Blogs, and an addition
- Walk in the Word with James McDonald.
- Biblical Preaching, Pondering preaching that shares God’s heart.
- The Short Preacher, Taylor Sandlin (Don’t miss the quotes on preaching).
- Special addition: it will be profitable to read Pastor David Guzik’s four part series titled Critical Elements of Biblical Preaching posted on the CalvaryChapel.com website.
- Calvary Church Planting Manual, has an excellent and concise section on expository teacher training.
- Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching: A Comprehensive Resource for Today’s Communicators by Haddon Robinson and Craig Larson is a modern classic.
- Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon, by Bryan Chappell is possibly the most comprehensive modern book on expository preaching.
- Preaching and Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones an all time classic in which the Dr. reminds us, “The most urgent need in the Christian Church today is true preaching.”
Four Hard to Categorize Honorable Mentions
- The Exchange, is Ed Stetzer’s podcast that can keep busy church planters updated with issues affecting ministry.
- Rainer on Leadership, is a blog and podcast by head of LifeWay Thom S. Rainer. Recent topics include, Why Preaching is Scary, and 10 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Pastor Right After the Sermon.
- Calvarychapel.com is effectively the clearinghouse for our tribe and a great source of encouragement, enlightenment and edification.
- The Productive Pastor, is a podcast from Pastor Chad Brooks offering insight into time management and productivity for the modern pastor in the modern tech oriented world.
Ed Compean is a missionary church planting coach based in Nairobi with his wife Kelli, but they are preparing to move back to the States later this year. You can read their blog or follow him on Twitter @Ed_Compean.